[mythtv-users] How turn on / off external box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Aug 1 22:20:34 UTC 2010

On Sunday, August 01, 2010 04:03:56 pm Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> You're right - it's always "on", but the screen shows a "power on" message
> when it is "off".  Yes, that's stupid.  I have to figure our the on/off
> state somehow later on.
>
> I read somewhere that the  IRD will turn itself off if no button has been
> pushed in 3 hours.

If you can, see if there is any significant drop in power usage when in the "off" condition (do you have a Kill-a-Watt?).

The power-down may not be to conserve energy, it may have something to do with the satellite company selling information
about what gets watched (for ratings). I'm not saying this is the case, just pointing out that there may be other reasons
for the box timing out.