[mythtv-users] OT: 3ware 9500 - expanding RAID5 requires a reboot?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Aug 1 10:16:33 UTC 2010

Hi there,

I've just added a 5th drive to the RAID5 array on my 3ware, (issuing
`sudo tw_cli /c0/u1 migrate type=raid5 disk=3`)  and after about 30
hours the migration has completed.

tw_cli shows the new size, but parted (e.g. sudo `parted /dev/sdb1 p`)
and fdisk do not.

I was under the impression that, upon completion of the migration of
the array the controller would inform the o/s. "hey, the drive's
bigger now" and allow the filesystem to be expanded.

Obviously I can reboot the system, but I had thought and hoped that
was unnecessary. Perhaps my kernel is missing a relevant option?
Googling turns up some hits that suggest a reboot IS necessary for the
new space to be recognised, some hits that suggest not.

I'm surprised I didn't have this problem before, when I (presumably)
added the 4th drive to the array.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Stroller.