[mythtv-users] Mythbackend log:CC length(19) seq_num(0) 0xa 0x31 0x98 0x3b 0xcf 0x0 0x61 0x1f 0x10 0x90 0x5 0x3 0x91 0x3f 0x0 0x3f 0x92 0x1

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Aug 1 10:12:23 UTC 2010

Tom Dexter wrote:

> Thanks!  Yea that makes sense.  They shouldn't really occur to any
> significant extent under normal conditions anyway.  As a matter of
> fact, in this particular case, it was one of my three HD-5500 cards
> going south.  I noticed that both failed recordings were on the same
> card, and then noticed I was getting these in /var/log/messages:
>
> Jul 31 12:14:00 mythback kernel: tda9887 1-0043: i2c i/o error: rc ==
> -6 (should be 4)
>
> As a matter of fact, today it had gotten to the point were I couldn't
> get better than about 55% signal on it (even when switching around
> antenna cables).  I finally started getting more of the above syslog
> errors and they were actually making the system almost unresponsive.
> I pulled out that card and all is well until I can get a new one.

Don't automatically assume that it's that one card that has gone kaput. My
original setup of three K-World DVB-T cards ran well for ages and then I started
getting errors. I assumed like you did that one of the cards was about to go, so
pulled each one to try and isolate the problem, but although one looked more
iffy that the others I wasn't entirely convinced.

That was about the time multi-rec appeared, I didn't actually need the third
card any longer, so left it out. My gut feeling is that either there was some
problem with the PCI bus - or a particular slot - or the power supply struggled
with three cards in the motherboard (those cards get /real/ warm).

Try swapping stuff about. You may find a duff PCI slot or that your PSU is
borderline. The card you pulled may work perfectly well in a different slave
back end.

--

Mike Perkins