[mythtv-users] 720p plasma with myth

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 30 14:41:04 UTC 2010

On 04/29/2010 09:56 PM, Joey Morris wrote:
> I'm considering buying a 42" 720p plasma TV to use primarily with
> Myth. The plasmas I'm considering have a native resolution of
> 1024x768. I have no experience setting up Myth with an HDTV, but after
> searching through the list archives I'm a little concerned I might run
> into some headaches.
>
> Specifically, I'm concerned about setting up the modelines correctly,
> dealing with overscan, losing quality because of scaling, and finding
> a Myth theme that works well at this resolution. Are my concerns
> warranted? I'm a bit out of my element, so I'm completely open to the
> possibility that I have no idea what I'm talking about. :-) Is anyone
> running Myth with a 1024x768 plasma and having a positive or negative
> experience with it?
>
> This is in the US, most likely using an HDHR with OTA as the source.

If you are using an HDHR for OTA, and get anything near reasonable
signals from local stations, do NOT EVEN THINK about getting something
as low-end as 1024x768.

Take yourself off to the local BestBuy, and take a long look at the
1920x1080 or 1920x1200 screens there. The cost difference is not much.
The difference in visual effect is astounding.
I have a 37" LG with 1364x768 (or whatever those exact numbers are) at
home, and a 30" Dell 1920x1200 here on the desktop. There IS a
difference in the image even with the same video file. Don't make
yourself feel disappointed down the road. I wish that I had spent the
extra $200 for the extra resolution.

On another point, since you may be switching back and forth between
direct tuning and myth input, make sure that whichever TV you purchase
has a simple and direct route for making that switch. When we purchased,
my wife liked a Sharp unit (which turned out to have some comb artifacts
which were very annoying). It required nearly a dozen key-presses to
change inputs. The replacement LG has a dedicated button on the remote
for that purpose. While looking (the second time) I noted that some Sony
and Panasonice models had that same problem as the Sharp unit. Nothing
to do with the picture, just a bad user interface. You're spending
enough money that you should get something easy to use *exactly* as you
want to use it.

On a final point, why plasma? They take more power and run hotter than
LCD's. (And the LED backlight units use less again, but cost way
more..and then there are OLEDS... which only come in mini sizes, so far.)

Geoff