[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors after kernel upgrade from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 19:09:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There's definitely something different in 2.6.32.  All those IOBOUND
>> errors do in fact go away when I reboot to 2.6.31.
>
> Kids, this goes firmly into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" part
> of the file cabinet.  What exactly are you gaining by upgrading from
> 2.6.31 to anything?  I'm very much in the camp that MythTV is an
> appliance and should be treated as such and not upgraded unless
> absolutely necessary and then very specifically and with great care to
> not change a million things at the same time.

This week 2.6.32.7 has become the gentoo "stable" kernel. As for
updating with gentoo its always best to keep your system at least a
little up to date because the further you get away from that the more
manual work will be needed when you ultimately update. For mythtv I
have had my masterbackend have nearly 1 year of uptime before needing
to reboot, however for the last 3 years my masterbackend has been my
main desktop computer at home so I need to keep that current.

John