[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.10 problems with recordings and news

John Williamson tyringham at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 18:00:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 15:21 +0100, John Williamson wrote:
> I have used mythbuntu since 8.04. That was a straight-forward install
> that worked well and gave a working system without too much pain. I
> tried upgrading to 9.10 but so much was broken that in the end I did a
> complete reinstall and imported the database and recordings. It has been
> nothing short of a nightmare compared to the original and I wish I had
> left it as it was, but we are where we are. I have now got most things
> working but still have a few bits to try and sort out. The hardware is
> as follows
>

> The motherboard is an Asus P5N7a-VM socket 775 with an Intel quad core
> Q8200 CPU, 2Gb ram, 1Tb samsung sata Hard drive, Geforce 9300 onboard
> graphics chip and an ALC1200 Digital sound chip. It has a Hauppauge PCI
> Nova-TD-500 dual tuner, a hauppauge Nova-T usb stick and 2 PCIe
> Hauppauge wintv HVR1700 cards. Using hdmi connection to HDTV and using
> Nvidia 185 graphics driver using VDPAU. I had a lot of crashes when
> playing recordings back until I allocated 512Mb iGPU ram to the
> framebuffer which seemed to stabilise quite a lot of the system. All
> firmware is properly loaded. Currently my main problem is that certain
> TV programs are consistently missed and having increased the logging
> output  I have obtained the following logs for the failed recordings. My
> suspicions is that this is related to latency in the PCI bus and that
> altering the latency of the PCI cards may help but I am getting well out
> of my depth here and would appreciate more expert opinion. It is
> interesting that it is always the same program that fails even though
> others record perfectly well on the same channel.
>

> DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d discontinuity detected
> 2010-04-18 19:54:48.342 DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d
> discontinuity detected
> 2010-04-18 19:54:48.849 DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d
> discontinuity detected
> 2010-04-18 19:54:49.338 DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d
> discontinuity detected
> 2010-04-18 19:54:49.862 DVBRec(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID 0x25d
> discontinuity detected

                I have now solved this problem after a fashion. This was
                partly due to swapping. I have now added more ram and
                increased it to 6Gb so there is plenty, but the main
                problem is that two of the tuners, the HVR 1700 are not
                working in this release. The firmware is loading and
                they get a good signal in live TV but fail to lock. They
                worked brilliantly in the old mythbuntu but not in this
                one. I have disabled them and I now miss no recordings
                but would like to get these working again. Ideas would
                be welcome.