[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors after kernel upgrade from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:20:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to be clear:  I upgrade kernels by copying my previous .config
> file to the new kernel source directory and using "make oldconfig".
> So generally the only differences tend to be with new features.

to quote the gentoo kernel upgrade guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml#doc_chap10

"It is sometimes possible to save time by re-using the configuration
file from your old kernel when configuring the new one. Note that this
is generally unsafe -- too many changes between every kernel release
for this to be a reliable upgrade path.
The only situation where this is appropriate is when upgrading from
one Gentoo kernel revision to another. For example, the changes made
between gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2 will be
very small, so it is usually OK to use the following method."

So, this may not be the problem, but copying .config files, even
between minor kernel releases is not recommended and may cause
unintended side effects.