[mythtv-users] Failing to find Freesat channels

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Wed Apr 28 09:13:35 UTC 2010

Ash Bostock wrote:

On 26 April 2010 17:40, Ash Bostock <abostock at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I've got a Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus DVB-S and want to use it to watch the UK Freesat channels.
If I try tuning with say the 1st frequency listed on http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html then myth fails to find any channels.

Freq: 10714000
Polarity: h
Symbol rate: 22000000
FEC: 5/6
Inversion: auto

So I've tried using "scan" from the command line and I get a lot of this...

Network Name 'ASTRA'
>>> tune to: 11973:v:0:27500
DVB-S IF freq is 1373000
0x07de 0x1d39: pmt_pid 0x0121 BSkyB -- ITV1 HD (running, scrambled)
0x07de 0x1cfc: pmt_pid 0x0100 BSkyB -- Sony TV Asia (running, scrambled)
0x07de 0x1d06: pmt_pid 0x0102 BSkyB -- MAX (running, scrambled)
0x07de 0x1d1a: pmt_pid 0x011f BSkyB -- ITV1 Central S (running)
0x07de 0x1d1b: pmt_pid 0x011e BSkyB -- ITV1 Central E (running)
0x07de 0x1d38: pmt_pid 0x0120 BSkyB -- ITV1 HD (running, scrambled)

Where the channels are found but listed as scrambled. The 1st frequency I tried is also listed but fails...

>>> tune to: 10714:h:0:22000 (tuning failed)
DVB-S IF freq is 964000
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!

Once "scan" has finished it does output a list of the channels it's found but none go the main ones,
e.g. BBC 1, BBC 2, Channel 4, Channel 4, BBC HD, etc.... are not on there.

Any one got any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks,
Ash

On further investigation it would appear I'm only finding channels that are on the Astra 2B (http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2b.html) frequency list. None of which carry freesat which is on Astra 2D (http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html).

I know next to nothing about how dvb-s works, so could someone in the know explain whether this is simply just my sat dish pointing in the wrong direction? or is it a configuration option I need to change from with in myth to tell it to look at 2D instead of 2B.

Thanks,
Ash

If you look at the footprint of the two satellites you will see that Astra 2D is highly focused on the UK whereas Astra 2B has a broader beam.
http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/support/media-library/Footprint-Graphics/Footprint-Graphics-28-2-East/astra-2D-north.php
http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/support/media-library/Footprint-Graphics/Footprint-Graphics-28-2-East/astra-2A-2B-south.php

So your position, the size of your dish and correct/incorrect alignment of the dish may acount for you only getting channels from Astra 2B.

Jens