[mythtv-users] Help me choose a Redhat based OS for MythBackend

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Apr 27 21:00:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Mike Andy <beatbreaker82 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>-- I've got machines that have
>> been running RHEL6 and Fedora 13 for quite some time now. So my plans
>> to move to RHEL6 this summer shouldn't be taken to say anything about
>> the RHEL6 release schedule.
>
> So what actually happens when you install a red had beta, then they
> change it over to the final sold release? Do you get asked a serial
> key or something or do updates just stop coming out?

Updates just stop coming until you get an RHN subscription. If I'm
thinking clearly though, the "supported" route to go from pre-release
to GA is "do a clean reinstall from the GA installer". But technically
speaking, there's nothing stopping you from just updating to the
latest released bits. Or from adding CentOS 6 yum repos when they
become available and just update from there going forward, morphing
the box from RHEL6 beta into CentOS 6. But if anything breaks along
the way, you keep both pieces. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com