[mythtv-users] New Mac OS X video acceleration framework

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Tue Apr 27 03:23:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 25 April 2010 04:34, TJ Harris <tjharris at weaselworkz.com> wrote:
>> I didn't see any mention of this on the list.  Mac OS X 10.6.3 finally
>> included a real supported API to use the video acceleration
>> capabilities within most recent Mac's GPUs.
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2010/tn2267.html
>>
>> Unfortunately, it appears to only address H.264 acceleration, not MPEG-2.
>
> mpeg2 was already advertised.

Where was this?   As far as I know, the MPEG-2 API was not public or
documented, it was reverse engineered from the Apple DVD Player.app
and was never really stable and usable.
Or, was there another supported MPEG-2 that was officially supported by Apple?

> Too bad it's limited to the nvidia based machine.. Can't use it on
> their iMac or mac pro..

Yeah, but it is supported with the Mac Mini, which is a great HTPC platform.