[mythtv-users] Pre-amp for Hauppauge 1600

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Apr 26 16:32:48 UTC 2010

> The best tool I have for aiming antennas is the HDHomeRun Config tool that
> shows signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality.

Check out the HDHomeRun_Config_GUI package
http://www.silicondust.com/downloads/linux

I take my laptop up on my roof with me and use the gui tool to adjust my
antenna.

As far as amplification is concerned, it is highly dependent upon your
particular setup.  Amps are really only suitable for overcoming loss due to
splitters or long cable runs, not for reception issues.  I put my HDHR's as
close to the antenna as I could, and used some good splitters to keep loss
at a minimum... this prevented any need for amplification.

If you must amplify, I recommend a good mast mount amplifier as close to the
antenna as possible.  Make sure it is adjustable and only amplify as much as
is necessary to overcome the DB loss from the cable and splitters.
Alternately, if your splitters are less than 20 feet from the antenna, you
could replace them with a good distribution amp instead of using a mast
mount to get about the same performance.  I would never recommend more than
one amplifier as each amp will hurt your SNR (Signal-to-Noise ratio) and
eventually make for a strong, but very noisy and worthless signal.

Research the amp you buy... they vary widely in quality and cost... pay
particular attention to SNR vs Gain.  A high gain amp is worthless if it is
very noisy.  Also, try and calculate how much amplification you really need
as the higher the gain, the higher the noise (typically).  Figure 1 DB per
15ft of coax plus whatever loss you get from splitters (they are usually
marked).  A loss of 4-5 DB is usually acceptable without amplification... if
you can't get a signal after 4-5DB of loss... then it's likely a reception
issue that cannot be fixed with amplification alone (antenna, aiming,
multipath, etc.)

Hope that helps.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/basics.html