[mythtv-users] Mplayer No Digitial Audio with MP3 or PCM

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Apr 26 04:27:52 UTC 2010

I finally got digital audio working with my GT-220 thanks to Axel and his
newly working alsa 1.0.23 modules for CentOS 5. Thanks Axel.

MythTV playback sounds great with a simple .asoundrc file:

pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
	device 3
}

And mplayer works great with a couple of lines in the ~/.mplayer/config file:

ao=alsa:device=hw=1.3
ac=hwac3,hwdts,

However...

I have some AVI home movies, generally Xvid with MP3 or PCM audio and setup to
be played with mplayer. mplayer refuses to play the audio of these files
through the digital output. There are no error messages in the mythfrontend
log file.

DTS and AC3 audio through mplayer sound great. MythMusic plays my MP3s just
fine in the new setup.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my mplayer setup for these AVI files?

Thanks,
Kirk Bocek