[mythtv-users] MythExport - iPod Touch / iPhone Settings

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 21:28:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 13:04 -0600, E. Westbrook wrote:
>> > I find that making watchable videos for my Android phone is this
>> > simple:
>> >
>> > $ ffmpeg -i inputfile.ext outputfile.mp4
>> >
>> > For me, ffmpeg's choices for encodings to that file extension are
>> > fine, and
>> > it hasn't failed to figure out the input formats for me yet.
>> >
>> > A little googling indicates that the files I get when doing that
>> > (mpeg4v/aac
>> > in a mpeg4 base container)
>>
>> Your Android device is not a choosy as an iPhone
>>
>> >  should be fine on your devices, but I wouldn't
>> > know for certain.
>>
>> Very choosy.
>>
>> Nico

> Thanks Nick F, I think between Handbrake, your link, and MythExport I'll be
> able to get something accomplished.
>
> Handbrake is working just fine in a Command Line format, seems a bit slow
> (2 hours of encoding for a 1 hour video) but I won't complain, time isn't my
> concern at this point.  We'll see how the final video turns out before I
> pass judgment however.
>
> Of course handbrake is a great solution for the encoding, however it
> doesn't give me the bells and whistles of MythExport (ipod feed, file
> delete, job management, etc.)  That said I suspect mythexport is only a
> "wrapper" for the real FFMPEG call that does the real conversion so I
> suspect if I get crafty enough I can use MythExport to call out Handbrake
> instead of ffmpeg and maybe get the whole thing wrapped up in a neat
> package.
>
> We'll see how that step goes later tonight.
>
> Thanks again to EVERYONE on the thread here so far for the help and
> information.  My fears of having to spend 15 hours in a car listening to
> "I'm bored!" every 2 minutes are quickly fading away. :)
>
> --Doug

Sorry for the second post but a fast question to you Nick F: What version of
Video2ipod do you end up using?  I note the wiki note states that anything
past 0.09 is "beta", but then I note that his download section hasn't been
updated since Apr 14 of 2008, just over 2 years ago, and that 0.11 is the
most recent marked with Current.

Finding any problems with 11?  Did you go with something else?

--Doug