[mythtv-users] XvMC problem on an EPIA SP board with MythTV 0.21

Paul dazzle at edazzle.net
Sun Apr 25 11:23:07 UTC 2010

I have been running MythTV 0.21 (self-compiled using latest fixes) on a
modified version of Debian Etch (Debian 4) using a self-compiled 2.6.24.7
kernel and have ironed out just about all the problems with it and it runs
very well using VIA-VLD XvMC for MPEG2 accleration with the openchrome
drivers. I am using a VIA Epia SP13000
(http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/ProductDetail.jsp?id=261).

The only problem I am continually coming up against is when a recorded video
(from  a Hauppage Nova-T-500 using Freeview) as any broadcasting glitches
(i.e. due to a low / bad quality signal) the MythTV frontend locks-up
completely and if you try to kill X the whole machine locks up and you have
to do a hard restart. I am using the CPU-- playback profile and have set
everything to Via-VLD with xvmc-blit using Bob 2x and Onefield for the
deinterlacers, and I am getting almost 0% CPU utilisation when I check top.

If I move to the normal playback profile using libmpeg2 and xv then it
passes over the broadcast glitches in the recorded file and keeps playing
with no problems whatsoever, this is impractical to use on the EPIA-SP all
the time because it uses to much CPU power.

When it does crash using XvMC the mythfrontend log just throws out lots of
'NVP prebuffering pause' and 'WriteAudio buffer underun' errors, top still
shows the CPU utilisation at almost 0%.

I have tried just about everything setting I can think of but cannot fix
this problem so I am coming to the conclusion that it is a bug in either
MythTV and / or the Openchrome XvMC implementation. I have also tried runing
MythTV 0.22 as well but it runs too slowly on the hardware.

Any help would be appreciated,

Paul