[mythtv-users] narrow picture on playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 24 19:40:20 UTC 2010

On 04/24/2010 01:20 PM, Peter Abplanalp wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 04/24/2010 08:56 AM, Peter Abplanalp wrote:
>>
>>> i'm having an issue with myth after upgrading from jaunt to karmic.
>>> when i watch tv or play back a recording, the picture is squash to
>>> about 1.5 inches in width in the center of my screen.  this is on a 17
>>> inch laptop display that runs at 1280x800.  i had this problem when i
>>> went from intrepid to jaunty as well but it was fixed by adding a
>>> 'Option "DDC" "No"' line to my xorg.conf.  i've check my xorg.xonf and
>>> the option remains but the issue has returned.  i've played with most
>>> of the setup->appearance options to no avail.  i should also mention
>>> that mythfrontend displays fine taking up the full display as expected
>>> (mythcenter wide theme).  it's just when watching tv or a recording
>>> that the issue presents itself.
>>>
>>> anyone have any ideas?  i'm happy to provide any config info.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>> Video card?  Driver?
>>
> card:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
> 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
> driver:
> xserver-xorg-video-intel
>
>> output of: xdpyinfo
>>
> that is a lot of output, is there something specific that would be
> helpful?  i will send everything if that's what you need.

All would be best.

>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Display_Size
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards
>>
> i'll look over these, thanks!
>
>> And make sure you set "Display on Screen" and "Monitor aspect ratio" (both
>> in Appearance settings) if you're using xinerama or any of its relatives.
>>
> not using xinerama or anything like that.  this is a single latptop lcd display.

Most all laptops do on most distributions.  You know that VGA/DVI/HDMI
connector on the back of the laptop?  That's typically configured as a
separate screen.  Look at Appearance settings.  If you don't see those 2
settings, you don't have to worry about them.  Otherwise you /must/ set
them properly or you'll have exactly the issue you're having.

Mike