[mythtv-users] New Mac OS X video acceleration framework

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Sat Apr 24 18:34:17 UTC 2010

I didn't see any mention of this on the list.  Mac OS X 10.6.3 finally
included a real supported API to use the video acceleration
capabilities within most recent Mac's GPUs.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2010/tn2267.html

Unfortunately, it appears to only address H.264 acceleration, not MPEG-2.

Yes, I know modern CPUs shouldn't need help with MPEG2...   But, in my
experience, MPEG2 decoding in MythTV for Mac is not exactly a
lightweight operation, and it would be nice to make better use of the
hardware already in my Mac Mini HTPC.   This could be very useful for
all the European Myth users with broadcast H.264.