[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked my HDHR above 33 - Los Gatos -95032

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 16:29:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Slava Imeshev <imeshev at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see. This sh*t happened to us (94303) a while ago. I am getting
>> myself
>> together to move to a version Linux/Myth that support Firewire+STB.
>

> That might not help you.  The cable companies like to lock down that as
> well, they are really only required to give you Firewire for the OTA
> channels you can already get with your HDHR using clear QAM. If you want to
> keep cable, and get all the channels, your only real option for HD capture
> is the HD-PVR. Firewire might let you change channels without the IR blaster
> though. Combine one of those with OTA/QAM locals via HDHR, and you might get
> by pretty well though.

I do not work for the company, just a very satisfied customer, and
suggest bay area folks who are having this happen to them see if they
can get Astound! service.  I, and at least one other user on this
list, subscribe to Astound! and virtually every channel I subscribe to
comes through firewire (ironically, one of the only channels that does
not come in is PBS).  It has been pretty much a flawless solution as
of late.  I know Astound! does not service the whole bay area, but it
does cover certain areas and it is nice to not have to use Comcast and
to get full firewire functionality.