[mythtv-users] combined myth/server

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Apr 23 14:34:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Indulis Bernsteins
<indulis.b at au1.ibm.com>wrote:

> > I did. XFS set per the wiki. The problem is made worse by MythBackend
> doing
> > sync calls once a second or so, so the filesystem isn't really able to
> > optimize write seeks. It's forced to seek once per second per recording,
> > minimum.
>
> Yeah, that'll help kill a disk, I am on the Ubuntu 9.10 "release" version
> of mythtv and haven't seen the "ticking disk of doom" problem.
>
> Also, what are your data rates to the disk, for DVB-T I tested the rates
> yesterday and SD (576i in Oz) it is 0.6 MBytes/sec per recorded stream, HD
> is 1.2 MBytes/sec/stream (stream=1 recording, i.e. 1 program).
>
> I am still going to have a play over the weekend in a WAF compatible time,
> and see how many recordings it takes to break by disk!
>
> Any votes on a good DB intensive task to run as well?

Storage seems to run about 2MB/sec/stream for the larger HD recordings. US
ATSC broadcast in 1080i or 720p.

On another note, I moved /var to an XFS partition yesterday, and tweaked the
my.cnf settings a bit. There has been a noticable improvement in UI response
with MythVideo. Pushing the NFS mounts to 1M r/w size seemed to help a bit
with the speed of getting a video started as well. I'm seriously considering
switching to storage groups for the video data so I can lose the NFS mounts
on the FEs. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see how performance
compares.