[mythtv-users] Moving to HD

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 23:48:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Bob Shanteau <rmshant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thom Paine wrote:
>>
>> I just picked up an HD tv, and have upgraded my Bell satellite to HD as
>> well. I have just powered off my myth system as I bought a hard drive for
>> the satellite to make it into a PVR.
>> My capture card in the BE is a Happauge 350. I realize I'll need to
>> replace this to move to HD.
>>
>> With only picking up an HD card for the BE, would I be able to move to HD
>> on my system and have it work ok?
>>

> You'll need a way to get the TV signal from the Bell satellite STB into the
> capture card. What are the outputs on the STB? You will want a capture card
> or USB dongle that will receive the HD signal in as high a quality as
> possible.

HDMI, and component are the two that I think will work for HD. I
realize I will need to buy an HD card. Do they come with HDMI inputs
on them? I kind of assumed they did.

>> I will move my satellite to the basement, and just have myth control it
>> and manage recordings, and then only watch recorded shows on my FE which is
>> on my 40" Sony Bravia.
>>

> How do you plan to have your MythTV box control the STB? Does the STB have
> any way to change channels other than the IR remote control? If so, you may
> want to explore that. Otherwise, you will want an IR blaster do the job.
>
> For that matter, what IR receiver are you using on your FE now?

Sorry, I should have stated I had a working SD setup that was rocking.
I have an irblaster on the BE to drive the STB. This has worked
flawlessly on SD.

I have a IR receiver in my FE that I use my Hauppauge remote with. I
had this working flawlessly as well.

>> Will the FE drive my TV at 1920x1080? Do I need to pick up a new video
>> card for that as well? The one main reason I'd like to keep the FX5200 is
>> because it's fanless and I like how quiet my FE is.
>>

> What Playback Profile are you using now (Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV
> Settings->Playback Screen 3)? VDPAU is nVidia's super-duper MPEG decoder,
> but to use it you would need a 8400 card or above, which in turn requires a
> motherboard with a PCI-Express 16 slot, whereas it sounds like you have AGP,
> right? I have had good luck with using the CPU- or High Quality Playback
> Profile with an nVidia FX5200 card and a reasonably fast CPU.

I guess the FX5200 was in my old FE. I took the lid off my FE and it's
got a PCI-E slot, and also onboard nVidia video.

my TV is a Sony Bravia 40" with HDMI and a VGA input. I did have a PC
on it running 1920x1080 to test the connection. It looked awesome.

Thanks for the replies so far. It looks like it might be a pretty
cheap upgrade to HD.

-=/>Thom