[mythtv-users] Thoughts on a hardware lineup..

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Thu Apr 22 03:39:59 UTC 2010

Eric Ladner wrote:
> Thanks for all the input.   I revised the list (diff motherboard,
> graphics card, etc.).  Better?
>
>  * Intel Core i3 Processor i3-540 3.06GHz 4MB LGA1156 CPU

For the absolute budget buyer, you might take a look at a Intel Pentium
G6950.  Same core design as the i3, less features and money.  CPU power
isn't nearly as important as it once was since VDPAU.  And the core line
is powerful enough that you might not even need the nvidia card.

IIRC, 1080P needed about 3 Ghz to be able to decode and display 1080i
with deinterlacing.  I was able to watch 1080i, 720p and the 1080P bunny
without issue, no hardware acceleration needed.

I've got a 8400 in my FE/BE and just added a GT220.  The biggest CPU hog
that I've thrown at it so far is the 1080P Big Buck Bunny, and that only
hit a single core for around 40% IIRC.

>  * ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GT 220 1 GB DDR3 DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video
> Card ZT-20201-10L (not fanless, but several reviews said it was pretty
> quiet)

I picked up an EVGA and once the driver loads and the system starts X, I
can't hear the fan.  Besides, it's not like there are not 3rd party
passive heatsink solutions out there.

>  * SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR-US Dual Networked High Definition
> Digital Television (White) - SiliconDust USA, Inc

You will love this and want more.  :-)

> I understand that cooling is an issue and the case it's going in now
> is adequately ventilated.  I have an existing power supply, but I
> don't know if the Core i[357] CPUs need a different power supply or
> not.  Thoughts?

Depends on the board.  I've seen boards that used a standard ATX with
the extra 4 pin connector, and I've seen some that had a 6 pin EPS.
Just about any good quality ATX supply (my current favourite is Corsair)
will have both.

Another thing to consider is that, at least on the box my GT220 came in,
the power supply has to be at least 300 watts and needs to supply at
least 18 amps on the 12 volt rail.  But what ever you do get, don't
skimp on it, get a good one.

Memory wise, I was using a 32-bit install and never needed more than 2
gigs.  I just installed a 64-bit version of mythbuntu, and I'm using
about 55 megs of swap now (expected, 64-bit does use a bit more RAM).
Corsair, Crucial and Kingston all have good warranties on their memory.