[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked my HDHR above 33 - Los Gatos - 95032

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 23:55:31 UTC 2010

> Thanks Bob, and hi to Simi. I grew up in Camarillo.
>
> I think I could just drop back to using two DTAs with the serial
> control and then record through my two old PVR-150s for SD recordings.
> We don't care much about HD here. It's nice, but we don't ever seem to
> record that way. I guess we're missing out but it's just TV.
>
> But that still leaves me paying $140/month to a company that I've
> truly come to hate. I'd rather find some high-end Internet TV service
> and pay them money. 75% of what I watch on cable is OTA, 25% higher
> channels. I think I can get The Daily Show and Colbert on the Comedy
> Central site, some of the other shows on Hulu.
>
> I end up asking myself why pay this company anything? We all dislike
> them, or worse, and yet we continue to take it. I think this is the
> time for me to look for alternatives. I'm sure it will hurt a bit, but
> sometimes with pain comes gain....

I'm not sure if the shows you watch are available in these formats,
but $140/mo buys *alot* of television on Amazon.com or iTunes that you
can watch using a device like a Roku or AppleTV.  If you can get 75%
via OTA (and probably in HD) and the rest via purchase, you're
probably still coming out very much ahead in terms of dollars spent
and you own the content (to a point) rather than just watching it once
when it is broadcast.  Of course, part of that $140/mo is probably
your Internet and/or phone service but if it isn't, that's alot of
cash.

Kevin