[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 21 18:07:58 UTC 2010

On 04/21/2010 01:47 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:27:19PM +1000, Christopher Kerr wrote:
>
>>> With respect, Mike, this entirely misses the point that was made. Okay, so
>>> you keep 1 or 2 of the most recent tornado warnings to watch whenever you
>>> find it convenient. When are you going to watch these? After your house has
>>> been flattened? After the insurance guy has paid out? The key word in that
>>> posting was *temporal*. Stuff you need to know about /now/.
>>>
>> And his point is that you either watch the news or you don't. If
>> you're in the habit of watching something with MythTV, you should set
>> it to record so the the scheduler knows about it - ie. if you watch
>>
>      How precisely do you propose to schedule severe weather reports?
>
> [deletia]
>
>      Engineering a "MythTV bypass" while certainly easy enough to do is not
> something that is obvious to many people (or even possible to some). It's also
> rather disappointing that it's even necessary.

The point is that you should not use Live TV for severe weather alert
information--because it /necessarily/ requires you to be viewing a
channel at a specific time when they give the information.  You
should--as soon as you decide you want to know about the severe
weather--start recording from each channel providing information
regarding the alert (or your favorite X channels or whatever).  Then,
you can flip between recordings (using the menu or using JUMPPREV or
PREVCHAN (H))--just like surfing in Live TV--*but* you don't have to
actually be viewing the channel when they give the important
information.  Most channels will overlap the useful info.

I do this all the time with hurricanes.  It works--and /much/ better
than Live TV.

Manage Recordings|Schedule Recordings|Program Guide, go to your favorite
news channels and R to single record them (or start the recordings in
Live TV, but then you'll have to exit Live TV to stop using Live TV and
start using recordings).  Or, for extended emergencies, just set up
custom rules to record everything on the news channels for the next day
or something.

Mike