[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Apr 21 17:42:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:37:41PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 08:47 PM, Tom Furie wrote:
> >>I can think of a few more purposes for the channel numbers: 1) All TV
> >>listings from all sources use channel numbers. Use your own random
> >>numbers and you will need a map to find that show you want to watch.
> >Well, don't use random numbers then. You could use some sort of system
> >like 1xx for channels showing predominantly sports, 2xx for channels
> >showing predominantly documentaries, 3xx for drama, etc.
> >
> >Even my TV allows me to move channels around if I don't like the default
> >order.
> >>2) TV advertisements use those channel numbers to tell you what
> >>channel the show is on.
> >Any TV advertisements I've seen don't specify the channel number, only
> >the channel name.
> >>3) the channel list that the cable company sends out lists stations by
> >>channel number.
> >Simply the map you mentioned in 1) above. Just because that is how
> >they've configured it doesn't mean you *have* to do the same. Admittedly
> >it's often more convenient just to follow what's there, but you have the
> >option of changing it to suit your taste.
>
> Better, your cable co calls it channel 35, so in your 3 different
> video sources, give it channel numbers 135, 235, 335.  (or

    I would be inclined to do something ATSC-esque and have done so in the
past. I put the sourceid at the end of the channel number with a separator
like so...

     35-1 35-2 35-3

    I had an alternate tuner setup like that. It was an SD only tuner and had
the lame lineup as one of my other tuners that was HD. So I had to have a
separate linup anyways. So I added the source to the channel number so I could
more easily debug problems.