[mythtv-users] combined myth/server

Iain Buchanan iaindb at netspace.net.au
Tue Apr 20 23:49:42 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm about to build a DIY NAS type box, with 4 disks and a small board
like the Gigabyte GA-D510UD with Dual-core Atom D510, all in a cube case
(eg Morex 6600).

Then it struck me that for just a few bucks extra, I could get one of
the newer ion boards with the broadcom mini-pci-e card, and turn it into
a combined FE/BE/NAS, and finally retire my crappy laptop backend.

I realise that I would have to give priority to mythtv over file
services, but that's fine, since I'm really the only one using any
non-tv related services, so if I'm watching TV I'm not hammering the
disks much (except for recordings and backend processes like comm
flagging)

The second problem I can see is noise since it would have to live near
my TV - but I live in the sub-tropics so there's always an aircon or
ceiling fan running anyway.

Are there any really stupid reasons why I shouldn't do this?  How do
these mini-ITX boards handle combined services?

Has anyone tried this before?

Many thanks for your combined wisdom! :)

Our business in life is not to succeed but to continue to fail in high spirits.
		-- Robert Louis Stevenson