[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Apr 20 18:08:45 UTC 2010

Simon Waldman wrote:
>> Those of us who are saying that the current approach is the best
>> approach for a DVR happen to see the reasons why MythTV can't just
>> switch inputs automatically.  If it does, it will break recordings.
>
> Having read this argument a number of times - whenever this topic
> appears on the list - I still don't understand how it is the case. If
> the user can access a channel by pressing NEXTCARD, then why can't
> Myth access it for them without the help of this button-press?
>
>> If you don't believe me, write the code yourself--and you'll see.  (Or,
>> if you don't, when you submit it for review and people tell you all the
>> problems it causes, then you'll see.)
>
> I'm not a coder, sadly. If you would deign to stoop to the level of a
> mere mortal luser and explain *why* this would cause problems, I'd be
> interested :-)

Well I am a coder, and your logic sounds pretty good to me, although
the structure of some software can make what seems simple very
difficult. I'd be interested too to know exactly what the problem is.
It's not as though we'd be expecting all channels to be available,
just the ones that are on the inputs that NEXTCARD can take you too.
I can understand no one wanting to do it, but I'm at a loss to
understand why it necessarily messes up recordings.

Paul.