[mythtv-users] How to upgrade from Mythbuntu 8.04 to 10.04?

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:56:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am starting to think about how I should upgrade my system from 8.04 LTS to
> 10.04 LTS .  My fear is that if I just do an upgrade, it will almost
> certainly quit working and my wife will divorce me.  But buying a new box to
> build a new system might have the same result.  I could put a new HD in and
> put the new system on that but it isn't clear that is a very smooth
> transition and besides there are other programs installed that were non
> trivial to get working, particularly the squeeze box server.  I also have a
> process running that needs to run every hour day and night to trigger a
> program remotely.
> I have been using Linux for a dozen years but am no expert. However, I am no
> novice either, just somewhere between.  My problem is I just don't have a
> clear idea of what the best way to plan this out is.  It is some time out,
> but I thought it might be good to start my planning.  Obviously one option
> is to do nothing but there are improvements I am missing out on that might
> be nice to have.  For now, doing nothing is the only option I can think of
> that works for me.  So, I ask the group, what would you recommend?
> Allen

When I built my box, I put 2 disks in: an OS disk and a storage disk.
(I'd heard/read somewhere that putting the MySQL db on a separate
spindle would help performance).  Since the smallest disk I could buy
was 80GB, about 3x (or more) I needed for the OS, I split the disk
into 3 partitions, nominally called "stable", "new", and "testing".
My idea at the time (and yet to be tested) was that I could play with
new stuff on one partition, but leave the default to boot from the
"stable" partition for the rest of my family when I was done playing.
I haven't had the opportunity to try out this idea yet.

I don't know anything about your setup, but perhaps you could use
gpartd to carve out a new "test" partition, install 10.04 on it, try
it out, play with it, decide works well enough that your family will
be happy with it, and change that test partition to be your default
boot partition.

If/when you do, please let me know, so I can read your howto and go
and follow suit :-)

Out of curiosity, what features are you hoping to get from 10.04?

--wpd