[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 15:18:32 UTC 2010

On 4/20/2010 7:49 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> No one called you (or anyone else in this thread) a moron for watching
> Live TV.  Some of us feel that those who do watch Live TV just haven't
> really figured out how to truly benefit from using a DVR--such that
> all the work is done /for/ you /by/ the computer.  And, yes, I realize
> your argument for Live TV is that the computer should do the work for
> you--I'm saying that you're doing a lot of work using Live TV that
> your computer could be doing for you if you learned how to use the DVR
> to full benefit.

In my opinion, the major problem with that isn't how *I* use a DVR.  It
is everyone else who uses that system.  My wife, for instance, turns on
HGTV at noon and it stays there until 5pm when she switches to WGN, and
then at 7pm it's back to HGTV.  She doesn't want to schedule those shows
to record, then play one, and when that one finishes, go select another,
etc..  (Of course, in her case, this isn't an issue, but it is an
example of the type of person who makes heavy use of Live TV.)  Also,
any guests I have, such as when the mother-in-law comes to visit,  won't
know how to use any of this, and their favorite shows certainly won't be
in my recording list.  They'll want to use live TV as well, and it would
be nice if they could use it just like any other TV, which includes
surfing the channels with Chan+ and Chan- (and not worrying about the
NEXTCARD button, assuming my remote has enough buttons to map such a
thing in the first place, ala an AppleTV) as well as Guide (and don't
get me started about how much pain it is to use the Guide to actually
change the channel rather than schedule a recording, a completely
different issue).

And even for myself, there are times I want to just plain old fashioned
"man with a remote in his hand" channel surf, rather than browse through
my recordings or slogging through the listings (its really the only way
I know to find out if there is something I want to watch that I've never
watched before, sort of like ordering a sampler platter at a restaurant).

Jeff.

--
I haven't smoked for 3 years, 8 months and 3 days, saving $6,041.22 and
not smoking 40,274.80 cigarettes.