[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Tue Apr 20 14:42:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

>  Some of us feel that those who do watch Live TV just haven't really
> figured out how to truly benefit from using a DVR--such that all the work is
> done /for/ you /by/ the computer.  And, yes, I realize your argument for
> Live TV is that the computer should do the work for you--I'm saying that
> you're doing a lot of work using Live TV that your computer could be doing
> for you if you learned how to use the DVR to full benefit.

I agree with this completely.

And yet -- LiveTV still matters.  It should be the best experience it can
possibly be.  It is currently not.

Until (if ever) a user has the "DVR Epiphany", the "DVR Philosophy" doesn't
even matter to her.  She really doesn't "get it" yet.  And what she does
understand, looks rather broken.  Many users will, in time, come to agree
with you (and me) about how to run your DVR best.

But the reality is that there will always be users in existence for whom it
all lives and dies by the LiveTV side of Myth.  Just a fact of life, I'm
afraid.

As for me, I'm in the camp of making it intelligent, and then presenting the
user with a helpful and informative confirmation dialog whenever there are
recording ramifications.  Then, if the user really means it, go ahead and
just do it without further nonsense, and "let the chips fall where they
may".

$0.02,
EW