[mythtv-users] Questions about disaster recovery

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:23:22 UTC 2010

Hello All,

Currently have a dedicated back end running back end ONLY.  And three
front ends.  Using Myth for OTA, video, music and pictures.

Back end is running raid 5.  Nightly cron jobs backup the data base.
Video MPEG v4 files backed up to an external esata once a week.

Front ends pulling user scripts, 7 days of mysql backups and fanart,
banners, coverart etc...

#backup myth files every hour
30 * * * * root (  rsync -avz --delete 192.168.0.50:/root/backups/
/root/backups )
30 * * * * root ( rsync -avz --delete
192.168.0.50:/var/lib/mythtv/fanart :/var/lib/mythtv/coverart
:/var/lib/mythtv/banners /root/myth )

The rsync commands above could potentionally be a problem on a
complete rebuild because the myth directories would be empty, so all
files on the receiving end would be deleted.  But that shouldn't
happen because no ssh keys are created.  The other wouldn't do
anything because the src directory doesn't exist and rsync would just
stop.

Here are the questions -

I don't care or backup the OTA broadcasts because it's simple to much
data and would recreate itself in less then a week.

If I have the database backed up and restored would myth pull all the
metadata down via the internet?

I have noticed on the front ends jamu logs.  It complains this should
be run from the back end.

I don't see jamu installed on the back end at all.  Looks like the
scripts are part of -

ii  mythvideo
0.22.0+fixes23766-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu3      A generic video player
frontend module for M

This package looks like it has a lot more then just myth scripts.
Really don't want to install things like `mtd` etc...

dpkg -L mythvideo|wc -l 97

Should I install jamu? and how should I go about doing it?