[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

mugginz feed.mugginz at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 20 13:14:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:49:01 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 05:51 AM, mugginz wrote:
> > If the work-arounds are stated as one possible method in which to work
> > around limitations in the project as currently implemented that's quite
> > OK, but to assume anyone wanting to watch LiveTV is a moron is quite
> > insulting.
>
> No one called you (or anyone else in this thread) a moron for watching
> Live TV.  Some of us feel that those who do watch Live TV just haven't
> really figured out how to truly benefit from using a DVR--such that all
> the work is done /for/ you /by/ the computer.  And, yes, I realize your
> argument for Live TV is that the computer should do the work for
> you--I'm saying that you're doing a lot of work using Live TV that your
> computer could be doing for you if you learned how to use the DVR to
> full benefit.
>
> Mike

Well at the very least you seem to be assuming that *not* watching LiveTV is
always the most beneficial situation.  I'm of the view that life can be a
rather dynamic thing indeed and may involve spontaneity on both my behalf and
indeed on behalf of those others that may be from time to time utilising the
TV thingy i my lounge room which doesn't always suite a pre-scheduled
recording lifestyle.

Due to my own need, as well as the needs of other posters who maintain a PVR
solution for not only themselves (who may be very technically minded), but
also on behalf of various people who aren't versed in the current low level
implementation details of MythTV, there is a common view that the current
implementation is somewhat non optimal for a broad spectrum of users.

When assuming that the users of said PVR will be prepared to learn to conform
to a particular usage pattern which suites the current implementation, it may
make sense to forward a particular work around as the only possible way
forward.  Others are of the view that the work involved in progressing the
current implementation in a way that produces an outcome more usable to your
garden variety end user is a very worthwhile pursuit.

When it's suggested that things could be improved in various ways that make
sense to the lay person, it has mostly been suggested that the desired
modality of use is in itself flawed in some way and that the user would be much
better off to conform to another usage pattern.

One group want the end users to conform unnecessarily to the needs of a
current implementation.  The other wishes the technology to more closely match
the current usage patterns of the users.  When this is possible, surely it's a
desirable thing to wish for, and if possible, also implement.