[mythtv-users] Quick survey regarding passthrough device settings

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 11:03:16 UTC 2010

Hi

On 20 April 2010 17:36, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:

> Jean-Yves:
> I'm SO glad you asked.

Uh which question are you talking about then?
Because reading your answer, I have doubts :P

> Sound issues are pretty much the only remaining headache with respect to
> Myth on this box.  I have to run alsamixer (and hit the "M" key four
> times, then ESC out) after any reboot, or I have no sound in Myth.  I

looks like alsa doesn't properly save it settings for you..

Set the settings the way you want them to be and what works

in a terminal, type:
sudo alsactl store

re-run then
sudo alsactl restore

and make sure sounds work ...

This will survive a reboot.

> Audio Output:  ALSA:spdif
> Speakers: 5.1
> Upconvert: Yes
> Upmix: Best
> Digital Output: ALSA:iec958:{AES0:0x06}  <-- (since 0.21; this is the only
> setting that seemed to work - I admit that I haven't tried changing it for
> quite a while).

Try with default with 0.23 and report then..

it should work

> Hope this helps.
> If you ashcan the passthrough, what would the settings be for routing
> sound to the spdif output?

obviously the audio device you've set up.. what else ?