[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 20 10:09:50 UTC 2010

On 04/20/2010 05:29 AM, Simon Waldman wrote:
>> That's why I said it's complained about by users with systems "not set up
>> properly", once set up and working many Myth systems never use live TV. it is
>> a valuable and almost necessary tool for setting up systems, as you say.
>>
> This issue (not being able to tune all available channels without
> switching inputs) comes up on this list every so often. Usually the
> response seems to be "why would you expect anything else" followed by
> "you shouldn't use LiveTV anyway, you're doing it wrong".
>
> The reality, as evidenced by the fact that the query keeps on being
> raised, is that:
> - Some people *do* want to use LiveTV.
> - If a channel is available on a tuner, people do not see why they
> should have to care which tuner it is available on, and possibly
> switch inputs to get to it. I agree with these people, in that I don't
> see any reason why Myth couldn't switch inputs automatically. [1]
>
> Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's a RFE... it doesn't really make much
> difference. The point is that there is something that many users want,
> that there is AFAIK no reason not to implement, but that none of the
> developers want to work on. That's fair enough, they don't have to,
> but I do wish that they would just say that rather than informing the
> users that they are Doing It Wrong.

Those of us who are saying that the current approach is the best
approach for a DVR happen to see the reasons why MythTV can't just
switch inputs automatically.  If it does, it will break recordings.
Live TV should /not/ be prioritized above recordings.  However, with the
approach I described in my linked post ("Solution C" as it's been called
in this thread), a user can choose to prioritize Live TV above recordings.

If you don't believe me, write the code yourself--and you'll see.  (Or,
if you don't, when you submit it for review and people tell you all the
problems it causes, then you'll see.)

Mike