[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 20 10:00:08 UTC 2010

On 04/20/2010 05:24 AM, Tortise wrote:
> From: "Raymond Wagner"
>> Solution C - Add each tuner with one virtual tuner.  Then go back and
>> add in additional virtual tuners, ensuring the three physical tuners
>> are the first three that will be selected.
>
> I presume this method also works as it comes from highly regarded
> sources?

Read the post I linked.  There's a lot more to it.

> I've not tested it myself yet as there has not (so far) been the need
> for me however it is likely to arise,
>
> Would it be worth suggesting someone write a script or routine that
> automates doing that manual process which is quite newb unfriendly?
>
> (visitors, especially the elderly with very non agile mind sets remind
> me as another reason for livetv)

IMHO, scripting it is not worthwhile (even ignoring the idea of asking
someone else to script it rather than doing it yourself).  If you read
the post I linked, you'll find there are a /lot/ of variations you have
to choose from as you configure this and each one of them has different
disadvantages.

Note that /all/ approaches will have a detrimental impact on recording
in some circumstances.  The only approach that always prioritizes
recordings over LiveTV is the default configuration of MythTV--the one
everyone is complaining about while thinking it can be changed without
any consequences.

Mike