[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Simon Waldman lists at firecloud.org.uk
Tue Apr 20 09:29:20 UTC 2010

> That's why I said it's complained about by users with systems "not set up
> properly", once set up and working many Myth systems never use live TV. it is
> a valuable and almost necessary tool for setting up systems, as you say.

This issue (not being able to tune all available channels without
switching inputs) comes up on this list every so often. Usually the
response seems to be "why would you expect anything else" followed by
"you shouldn't use LiveTV anyway, you're doing it wrong".

The reality, as evidenced by the fact that the query keeps on being
raised, is that:
- Some people *do* want to use LiveTV.
- If a channel is available on a tuner, people do not see why they
should have to care which tuner it is available on, and possibly
switch inputs to get to it. I agree with these people, in that I don't
see any reason why Myth couldn't switch inputs automatically. [1]

Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's a RFE... it doesn't really make much
difference. The point is that there is something that many users want,
that there is AFAIK no reason not to implement, but that none of the
developers want to work on. That's fair enough, they don't have to,
but I do wish that they would just say that rather than informing the
users that they are Doing It Wrong.

This time, we have somebody who is willing, and hopefully able, to
contribute a fix - thank you! I hope that everybody can be supportive
rather than critical.

-Simon

[1] Personally I have got around this by setting up two video sources,
each using EIT, and assigning one to each of my two tuners - even
though both tuners are connected to the same arial. For some reason
this solves the problem, though I don't understand why...