[mythtv-users] Can't get ATI HDTV Wonder to work with analog on Ubuntu 64 9.10

Harry Orenstein holists at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 01:02:01 UTC 2010

On Monday 19 April 2010 07:12:04 pm Douglas Peale wrote:

<snip>^2

> > For some reason it is selecting east Europe for its channel frequencies,
> > and PAL. I am in the USA, so the channel frequencies should be US cable,
> > and the format should be NTSC. How do I change this? Is there a config
> > file for the tuner?
>
> Ok, a bit of reading and trial and error, I am now using the command:
> "mplayer -v tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:normid=0:chanlist=us-cable:channel=3"
> to get NTSC-M (as far as I can tell, that appears to be correct for US
> cable TV).
> It appears to be running properly, but I still get a black screen with
> no sound.
> When I selected SECAM (normid=10 through 14) I got snow. I know it is
> not the correct setting, but at least it was something new coming out of
> that card.

Mine has a problem with analog TV when the modules are loaded at boot up.
Reloading them seems to fix the problem.  Try:

#!/bin/sh
#
# unload hdtv wonder modules
#
/sbin/modprobe -r cx8800
/sbin/modprobe -r cx88_dvb
/sbin/modprobe -r nxt200x
/usr/bin/pkill pulseaudio; /sbin/modprobe -r cx88_alsa
/sbin/modprobe -r tuner
/sbin/modprobe -r tuner_simple
/sbin/modprobe -r tuner_types
/sbin/modprobe -r tda9887
/sbin/modprobe -r tda8290
#
# reload hdtv wonder modules
#
/sbin/modprobe cx88_dvb
/sbin/modprobe cx8800 video_nr=1 vbi_nr=1
/sbin/modprobe cx88_alsa index=1

Followed by:

mplayer tv://32 -tv device=/dev/video1:driver=v4l2:chanlist=us-
cable:alsa:adevice=hw.1,0:amode=1:audiorate=48000:forceaudio:volume=100:immediatemode=0:norm=NTSC-

Use a channel that is valid in your area.  It works for me.  HTH!

-- Harry O.