[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Tue Apr 20 00:23:43 UTC 2010

To troubleshoot just try recording the other program that you are
interested in- it would have to be on the same DVB-T multiplex.  If you
can record multiple shows on the same multiplex but not watch multiple on
the same multiplex then you know there is a bug with LiveTV section of
Mythtv, that it has just not "caught up" with the idea of multiplexed
tuners.

If that is the case, then just change your habits, tell Mythtv to record a
program you are interested in, and watch it delayed i.e. start watching it
after 10-20 minutes.  This is good for FF-ing over the ads anyway (up to
20 mins per hour of viewing)!  I've never had a lot of luck with LiveTV,
maybe it is better now in recent Mythtv version, but watching a recording
works fine!  I haven't tried watching live much at all because of my
experiences with early Mythtv.

Also, I am running 4 shows max record per physical tuner with no problems!
 The tuner just streams the whole multiplex's data into Mythtv anyway,
where if you are not watching all the channels in that multiplex, some of
the channel data is thrown away.

By the way, I run XFS as a filesystem on 1x 1TB SATA disk, and it copes
fine with 3-4 shows being recorded at a time.  I haven't noticed it try to
record more than this at a single time.   See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XFS

I have 3 tuners, with 2 I'd get recording conflicts, 3 seems right, it
also allows you to set "delayed end times" for most recordings on
commercial channels.  We Oz-dwellers know this is an ESSENTIAL THING(tm)
don't we?

Cheers,

Indulis