[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

mugginz feed.mugginz at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 19 21:04:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:49:57 am Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/19/2010 12:52 PM, mugginz wrote:
> >> I would have thought that the behaviour you described above is exactly
> >> as expected. You have three tuners, you went and started three
> >> recordings. This meant that each tuner grabbed and locked the mux that
> >> contained the channel it was recording. I can't see any way you can
> >> then access a channel that's not on one of the three muxes currently
> >> being used. That's exactly the way that multirec is supposed to work.
> >>
> >> Don't forget, your 'virtual tuner' which is the extra tuner you
> >> configured is just a happenstance extra benefit of the fact that each
> >> tuned mux contains a number of channels.  Once a mux is selected by the
> >> hardware, that's the limit of availability for that physical tuner.
> >
> > No, that's not what I'm getting at.  The three tuners are all tied up and
> > was able to switch between the muxes momentarily.
> >
> > Tuner 1 - Channel 7 - Various other channels available from this mux
> > Tuner 2 - Channel 9 - ditto
> > Tuner 3 - Channel 10 - ditto
> >

> > I should be able to switch between any channel from the muxes sitting on
> > each of the tuners.  So, any channel available from the muxes that
> > transmit channels 7, 9 and 10.
> >
> > After loading up each of the tuners with recordings I was able to make
> > one correct switch.  When selecting channel 2 (which isn't available
> > from either of the three muxes sitting on the tuners) it correctly
> > selected the closest channel that was available.  But then I couldn't
> > select a channel from one of the other muxes without manually selecting
> > another input first.  It decided to lock itself to just the mux that
> > channel 7 was transmitting on.
>
> That's option D.  It's the only possible way to switch capture cards
> when all tuners are busy.
>
> Also, for option C, you need to redo it (as there's more to it than the
> summary info in this thread provides, so I suggest you read the post I
> linked).
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/432734#432734 (for
> info on D and the link to the post you should read)
>
> Mike
The procedure I used to come to this situation is as follows.

1. "Avoid conflicts between LiveTV and recordings" is already unchecked.
2. Delete all capture cards.
3. Add each card, one at a time, each with Max Tuners = 1
4. Connect inputs. Each card is now connected to the DigitalTV input.
6. There were no recordings in progress or scheduled to be recorded at this
stage.
7. Start FE and begin watching LiveTV

Now for the recording bit.

8. Change to channel 7
9. Press 'R' to begin recording it.
10. Change to channel 9.
11 Press 'R' to begin recording it.
12. Change to channel 10.
13. Press 'R' to begin recording it.

At this stage the hardware would be capable of being able to then view and/or
record another channel from one of the three muxes being recorded from.

What I then did was;

14. Using the down arrow key, I went to channel 2 and pressed enter.  As
channel 2 isn't available from wither of the three muxes, the FE selected the
closest one that was available, which was channel 7.

At this point I'm seeing channel 7 being played back on the screen.

15. Pressing up arrow only switches between the channels on the channel 7 mux
and doesn't automagically move onto the other muxes as one would expect.

I should note that all of this is being done from the one FE

Now I've also done this after reading the paragraph ending with
"So, although you have 3 capture cards and could,
therefore, tune 3 multiplexes, due to a combination of recording rule
priorities and your "I love LiveTV"/"I don't want to press NEXTCARD"
configuration, you've already exhausted the 3 capture cards and are
wasting one by tuning the same mux that another was using. "

1. "Avoid conflicts between LiveTV and recordings" is already unchecked.
2. Delete all capture cards.
3. Add each card, one at a time, each with Max Tuners = 3
4. Connect inputs. Each card is now connected to the DigitalTV input.

Now I start the FE, go into setup and enable "Avoid conflicts between LiveTV
and recordings"

6. There were no recordings in progress or scheduled to be recorded at this
stage.
7.  Begin watching LiveTV

Now for the recording bit again.

8. Change to channel 7
9. Press 'R' to begin recording it.
10. Change to channel 9.
11 Press 'R' to begin recording it.
12. Press up arrow to go to channel 10 and press enter to make it the current
channel.  MythTV refuses to change to 10, and instead goes back to channel 9
and at this point arrow keys only allow selecting channels from the channel 9
mux.