[mythtv-users] Executing Scripts, etc - irexec/osd vs. Theme entries

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 20:33:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Wayne Thomas <waynethomas69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am just looking for some input on what seems to be a personal
>>> preference from what I can tell.
>>>
>>> Trying to just run arbitrary commands while using mythtv from my
>>> remote, some mythtv related, some not..  It appears I can have the
>>> same functionality by programming irexec commands to buttons directly,
>>> or adding EXEC actions into the theme I use.  I understand the
>>> housekeeping required with the theme route, but I was just looking for
>>> technical hurdles that I may hit when trying it with the theme.
>>>
>>> I have plenty of free buttons to use for irexec (and can make as many
>>> as needed as well...), but the idea of having a menu on the screen to
>>> just scroll through with categories seems nicer to me.  I plan to just
>>> have a master script with all of my commands in it either way, so it
>>> is easy to maintain..
>>> Any pros/cons to this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> -Greg
>>
>> One con of using theme menus is that you have to quit out of what ever
>> you are watching/listening to (back into the menu screen) in order to
>> execute the script.  Using irexec means you can do whatever you want
>> without disrupting your current entertainment.
>
> Yeah, *most* of the time, I will not be running these while watching
> media though, so using the OSD for feedback may not work.  (I have not
> dug deep enough to know yet)
>
> I guess for quickness, I will implement it with irexec and later today
> start digging.
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> -Greg
>
>> I queried a while back about the ability (or not) to insert menu
>> selections into the Internal player for exactly this reason but never
>> received a reply.  I presume this is because it is far too difficult
>> to do.

Just in case anyone else is interested, I was initially wanting to do
this in a theme so I could get visual feedback for success/error from
my scripts.  The mythtv-osd worked great as long as I was in live
media, but not in the menus.

I ended up using the notify-osd package, and the simple binary
notify-send to paint it to the screen.  It works great and paints it
no matter what is happening on the screen.

-Greg