[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 for Comcast Digital in US - how would you build?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 19:29:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM,  <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
> What technical directions would you take if:
>
> - You were forced to Comcast Digital service (private) with HD
> - You wanted to tune for Live TV thru Myth 0.22 AND record
> - ideally you had the bulk of the backend and tuners in a "server closet"
> somewhere in the house
> - your were selecting/building your hardware from scratch
> - you have ethernet wiring ready from each FE to the BE/Tuner closet
>
> Asking in ref:
> - Tuner devices/cards to work (as best as possible) with whatever Comcast
> box and link technology (firewire, composite)
> - Does HD change the recommendation
> - Does trying to make the Tuners and BE remote from FE change the
> recommendation?  (IR and blasting)
>
> I'm asking because I'm really unclear what would be most "turn-key" and
> reliable if budget and pre-existing equipment were not considerations.
> TIA!!!!!!!
>
> p.s. "screw Comcast" is a very viable answer, but not quite what I'm
> looking for here...  ;-)

Easy.

1.  Get whatever non-DVR cable box Comcast will give you that will
tune all the channels in HD you pay for and has component output.
2.  Buy an HD-PVR for each such cable box
3.  Set up the combination + IR blaster (or other channel changing
method) giving you one tuner for each set of equipment.

For the frontend I would some sort of ION based system (build your own
or REVO style) which will play back the HD-PVR content just fine.

You get HD component capture of all your channels as long as Comcast
provides HD component output.

Kevin