[mythtv-users] LiveTV on HVR-4000 not working- 0.22/F12

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Apr 19 16:19:47 UTC 2010

Michael PARKER wrote:
> All,
>
> Having spent the last five evenings trying unsuccessfully to get LiveTV
> working on my F12/0.22 platform, I've now run out of ideas and need to ask
> for help.
>
> I'm trying to watch LiveTV in Myth, fed from my VirginMedia STB via the RF
> input of the analogue tuner of my Hauppauge HVR-4000 card. Mplayer works
> fine, finding the STB output on channel 21/471.25MHz. Both of the following
> mplayer command lines allow me to watch TV, albeit without sound:
>
> mplayer -v tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:normid=4:channel=21
> mplayer -v tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:normid=4:freq=471.25
>
> When I try to watch LiveTV in Myth, I setup the capture card up as a V4L
> analogue capture card, a dummy "no grabber" video source and the input
> connection is setup to preset the tuner to channel 21. Since I've yet to sort
>  out any channel change script, I just use /bin/echo to see what Myth thinks
> it's changing the STB channel to. My MythTV default video format/normid is
> PAL-I which corresponds to the "4" used by mplayer.
>
> When I try to watch LiveTV in mythfrontend, I get "snow" with a green
> vertical line to the RHS of the screen (see screenshot below). This looks
> distinctly similar to the output I see when I deliberately mis-tune mplayer
> to the wrong channel/frequency.
>
> Reviewing the FE/BE logs (with all debug verbose logging options enabled, see
>  below for URLs), nothing seems amiss - Myth seems to believe that everything
>  is fine and that I'm happily watching TV. Likewise the output of lspci,
> lsmod & dmesg (see below for URLs) all look OK - albeit to my untrained eye.
>
> So in summary - everything looks fine, except I can't watch TV!
>
> NB. I also can't record TV. Having seen reports of people being able to
> record but not watch LiveTV, I thought I'd try recording. No luck - I just
> get 5mins of snow with a vertical green line :o(
>
> FWIW, I've installed firmware v1.23.86.1 for the HVR-4000's cx24116 DVB-S2
> demod, which is successfully picks up. I also tried compiling up the latest
> v4l-dvb drivers to no effect. Since I experienced the same problem I reverted
>  back to the kernel-supplied drivers.
>
> My best guess is some form of driver issue - given the similarity of what I'm
>  seeing to a mis-tuned mplayer, could Myth be passing the incorrect frequency
>  to the tuner? Maybe a factor of 1e3/1e6 out? (I notice that mplayer talks in
>  terms of MHz, MythTV initially in terms of KHz with a subsequent conversion
> to Hz).
>
> Is there any way of seeing exactly what Myth passes to the tuner in the way
> of parameters?
>
> Should I be concerned that mplayer uses the v4l2 driver whilst Myth seems to
> use the cx8800 driver? (A review of lsmod appears to suggest that cx8800
> calls v4l2 anyway, but I thought I'd mention it).
>
> I'm really at the end of my tether with this one. I've passed it by another
> [...]
Couple of minor things. Your dummy channel change script should end with
/bin/true so that Myth thinks it worked correctly, and I understood the default
output channel from a Virgin box to be channel 60. That's what mine was set at
when I had it to replace my original NTL box, and I had to ask the engineer to
move it because one of my local broadcast muxes is also channel 60, so there was
a conflict.

--

Mike Perkins