[mythtv-users] USB IR Blaster: close but no cigar

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Apr 19 00:04:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 12:43 -0700, Douglas Peale wrote:
>>
>> > Do you mean you have no slots at all
>>
>> Yes, that's what I mean. They are all in use. Two PCI slots contain a
>> sound card and my PVR-500 card, one PCIEx16 slot contains the graphics
>> card and one PCIEx1 slot contains a firewire card. Those are all the
>> available slots and all of those devices are needed by the MythTV
>> system.
>>

> It looks like you could get a PCIEx1 Firewire/USB combo card.  Not sure if
> you'll end up hitting chipset issues with those too, though.

Yeah, that'd be one possible solution here. Just stay away from
anything with a jmicron or ali chipset... :) The other possibility
that comes to mind would be a sound card with onboard firewire, such
as the soundblaster audigy cards, leaving the pcie x1 slot for a usb
card...

I swear I've seen prior reports for mcp61 usb issues, and there was
some sort of kernel param work-around that helped, but its escaping me
(and a few tries at ye olde google), if it really existed...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com