[mythtv-users] USB IR Blaster: close but no cigar

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Apr 17 17:51:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 22:25 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> I'd be curious to see if it behaves differently with a different
>> machine (or more specifically, a different usb controller).
>
> I suppose I could compile LIRC on another machine just to test the
> blaster. I'll get around to that this weekend.
>
> My current machine has ports on both the front and back; is there any
> way to find out if these are on different controllers? The output of
> "lsusb" is confusing:
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:4900 Hauppauge
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 1784:0008 TopSeed Technology Corp.
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c001 Logitech, Inc. N48/M-BB48 [FirstMouse
> Plus]
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop
> Laser
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion
> Uninterruptible Power Supply
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>
> Presumably "Hauppage" is the HD-PVR which is plugged in the back. But
> the Logitech is also plugged in the back and it's a different bus? The
> Topspeed is plugged in the front and it's the same bus as the Logitech?
> If I'm reading this right, the ports are wired really strangely.

I'm not entirely certain, but I do believe you're reading things correctly.

>> send it my way and I can investigate. :)
>
> If you're serious about that, I'll take you up on it for the good of the
> project, as if this one can't be made to work on this machine, it will
> be useless to me and I will have to order a different one anyway.

Yeah, I'm completely serious about that. That's how the other topseed
0x0008 users have transmit support now -- Greg Oliver sent me one of
them to debug. Its also how the imon driver can now auto-configure
varying 0xffdc devices -- Geoff Newbury shipped me his spare 0xffdc
ir/vfd, and my brother sent me back the 0xffdc imon knob I'd given him
a while back. The mceusb driver will grow support for the mce keyboard
in the relatively near future, because James Meyer sent me his
keyboard (and remote and transceiver). I still feel guilty about the
blasters on the hdpvr not working perfectly, since I have the
hardware, but I bought that, versus someone sending it to me... :) (I
do however need to further debug a regression w/the usb-uirt danielk
sent me, where its not xmitting correctly for dish network stb's). I'm
always happy to have someone ship me hardware to debug and try to
add/fix support for, time and energy willing. More mceusb hacking is
already what's up next on my TODO list.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com