[mythtv-users] Best way to get 0.23 backend with Debian Lenny

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sat Apr 17 08:55:13 UTC 2010

2010/4/17 Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe at ingolfs.dk>:
<SNIP>
> I don't really need Debian, I just happen to like it :-) But Ubuntu is
> close enough that it may work. How does mythtv work on Ubuntu? If I
> choose to run 10.04 Server, will the new releases of mythtv (ie 0.24,
> 0.25) work with this or will I be stuck with the mythtv version current
> when 10.04 is released?

Newer versions of MythTV will most likely depend on newer versions of
other packages, like QT. Sticking with 10.04 will also force you to
use a MythTV version compatible with the packages in 10.04. But this
issue is the same on Debian, Fedora, or whatever distribution you
choose.

Looking at the current Ubuntu 9.10 and the Mythbuntu autobuilds, you
could choose between receiving updates for 0.22 (-fixes at the time of
9.10 release) or 0.23 (trunk at the time of 9.10 release). Once the
0.23-fixes branch were created, the 0.23 updates switched from trunk
to 0.23-fixes. Eg. you could do the 0.22-fixes -> 0.23-fixes upgrade
by just clicking a checkbox, without upgrading the OS.