[mythtv-users] Best way to get 0.23 backend with Debian Lenny

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Sat Apr 17 07:25:27 UTC 2010

Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> writes:

> 2010/4/16 Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe at ingolfs.dk>:
>>
>> What's the best way to get this backend onto a Debian Lenny system?
>>
>> I would like to avoid building from source if possible :-)
>
> If your goal is to get a stable Debian-based system which doesn't
> break during upgrades, it might be worth noticing that Ubuntu 10.04 is
> a LTS release, meaning that you'll get 3 years of support on the
> desktop edition.

That is indeed the goal :-) My Myth backend server has been running for
years without any problems (and without me having to update
anything). Only recently did I upgrade to Lenny to get Myth 0.22

> Looking on the history of Debian
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history), 3 years of
> support also seems to be the default in recent Debian releases. Lenny
> was released on the 14th of February 2009, meaning that you can expect
> support until around February 2012. Ubuntu/Mythbuntu 10.04 will be
> released in a week or so, meaning you'll get support until around
> April 2013.
>
> I have a Ubuntu 8.04 Server LTS running and I've selected only to
> allow security updates on it, eg. it's very stable during upgrades.
>
> Just an alternative thought :)

We're  getting close to OT, but I haven't followed the latest distro
updates, so what will it buy me to update to Ubuntu vs Debian? Note that
my current backend runs in a Xen VM, no graphical UI.

/Jeppe