[mythtv-users] New geforce GT 240, HDMI, and audio

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 00:16:47 UTC 2010

I just ordered a new geforce GT-240.  Newegg had a sweet deal for like $45
delivered, so I jumped.   Currently, I use an onboard geforce 8200 that
handles both audio and video, but VDPAU performance is not so good.  Anyway,
after I pulled the trigger, I got to wondering if the 240 can carry both
audio and video over HDMI (it seems almost odd that a video card can also
function as a sound card, but I digress).

I did some reading and it seems that the GT-240 can also audio, depending on
your audio/video driver combination.  Right now, I am running
nvidia-graphics-190.42-43.i386 from atrpms.  I am also running
alsa-driver-1.0.20-80.fc10.i386 from atrpms.

Does anyone know what issues I face in my quest to get this new video card
up and running, with both video and audio delivered over HDMI?  Will I need
to upgrade my drivers, or is my setup good to go?  To minimize the
disruption and keep the WAF high,  I'd rather not even start with the
installation if my configuration is not good.

Larry