[mythtv-users] PVR 350 not capturing audio

Ian Armstrong mail01 at iarmst.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 14:12:04 UTC 2010

On Friday 16 April 2010, Wayne Richards wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 04:58:05PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 April 2010 04:39:59 pm Wayne Richards wrote:
> > > I just built a gentoo system and installed mythtv-0.22.  It has a PVR
> > > 350 as video0 and a PVR 150 as video1.  I'm not using the TV-out on the
> > > 350--instead it has a GeForce 7300 with s-video output.
> > >
> > > Testing the PVR 350:
> > >
> > > produces the output file, but playing it with mplayer gives:
> > >
> > > MPlayer SVN-r29796-4.3.4 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
> > >
> > > Playing test.mpg.
> > > MPEG-PS file format detected.
> > > MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.
> > > VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 2)  29.970 fps  6000.0 kbps (750.0
> > > kbyte/s)
> > > I don't have any options set for the ivtv module.  How do I
> > > troubleshoot this?
> >
> > Are you tuning an RF channel or using baseband inputs? I'd try the other
> > source, whatever it is.
>
> No source at all--just static.  Same for each card.
>
> > I've never seen this, even with no audio input. It may be a defective
> > card. The stream should be there, even  if it contains no audio.
>
> I was hoping there's something I overlooked.  Thanks for the help.

The only time I've seen no audio stream is when the firmware has partially
failed (crashed), but it's not very common. The only real fix for that is to
reload the firmware, so you'll have to rmmod & then modprobe ivtv. If it still
doesn't work then the problem is elsewhere.

What's the output of 'v4l2-ctl --log-status' ?

Also, try loading the ivtv module with 'modprobe ivtv debug=1'. Make a short
capture from '/dev/video0' & if the audio stream is still missing check the
output from dmesg. You may see a line like 'ivtv0 warn: Could not get result
(CX2341X_ENC_MISC)'.

--
Ian