[mythtv-users] HD-PVR thoughts

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Apr 15 20:38:21 UTC 2010

Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> says:
> There is another reason too. Sooner or later, your firewire channels
> will suddenly stop working because the cable companies are busy
> encrypting everything.

I explicitly mentioned futureproofing in my message. That said, my
cable company's always offered all channels via FireWire, premium or
not, in the 4.3 years I've run MythTV, even through an acquisition; it
is not the only small cable company in the US that does this. I do not
worry myself to sleep at night thinking about it. In any case, it's
all beside the point, and has been since the HD-PVR's debut in April
2008.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array