[mythtv-users] HD-PVR thoughts

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Apr 15 18:36:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 00:03 -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> As implied above I don't actually need to use the HD-PVR to record
> from my cable boxes. Beyond the novelty value, there is a meaningful
> reason to use it instead of FireWire: Disk space.

There is another reason too. Sooner or later, your firewire channels
will suddenly stop working because the cable companies are busy
encrypting everything. They will get around to the firewire ports on
their boxes eventually. Firewire has never worked for me except for a
few OTA channels (that of course I don't need the cable box for anyway).
If you are getting anything else over firewire, you are lucky, and your
luck will run out sooner or later.

--Greg