[mythtv-users] USB IR Blaster: close but no cigar

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 15 13:39:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Ron Garrison <ron.garrison at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> He's right - I missed that you had compiled a tarball and not the cvs.
>>>  There was a change within the last two weeks that affects thsi unit.
>>
>> A bit more than two weeks ago now, actually. Greg Oliver was kind
>> enough to send me a topseed 0x0008 he had (aka the same AVS Gear
>> GP-IR02BK kit the other Greg linked to), and I was able to figure out
>> the necessary changes for lirc_mceusb to enable its transmitters, and
>> that code was just committed back on March 18 in my git tree, and
>> shortly thereafter to lirc cvs. The IR emitters in the kit Greg sent
>> me don't light up either.
>>
>> --
>> Jarod Wilson
>> jarod at wilsonet.com
>
> I thought you uncommented the mask or something after the original
> March 18 commit on about 2 weeks ago.

You may be correct on that, forgot I'd screwed that up in the original
cvs commit.

> No matter - it works great now.
>  Unfortunately the  new lirc build has resulted in double event sends
> on the remote that used to be working but that's another issue.

Wasn't aware of that one... Reported on the lirc list?

> Another test that Scott mentioned to me in another thread is to run
> irw in one window and irsend in another.  Set the emitter in front of
> the receiver of the mceusb transceiver.  Now if it is transmitting
> then irw should echo everything you send.

Another thing that helps is setting 'min_repeat X' in lircd.conf for
the blaster remote, so each individual code is actually transmitted
more than once (X repeats), which actually improves reception
reliability for the correct value of X.

With the mce devices that don't have flashing emitters, even if irw
isn't picking up your signal when you loop the xmitter back to the
receiver, you *should* at least see the receiver LED light up if it
thinks it sees something that looks like IR.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com