[mythtv-users] New system configuration

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 15:12:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Christopher Kerr
<mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They problem for you is that, although another frontend can watch
>> these live recordings they can't watch them seemlessly like the
>> frontend that started livetv. They can only watch them by going to the
>> recordings menu and selecting a recording and when that recording ends
>> such as when the channel was changed or when the program ends they
>> will be returned to the menu.
>
> Pretty sure this doesn't happen if you have MultiRec set up - at
> least, I think that's the reason I've never seen what you're
> describing. I've always been able to sit down at another frontend,
> pull up LiveTV and watch any channel on the tuned Mux without having
> to stuff about with the Recordings list (I've never actually USED that
> ability for anything, but in testing, it always worked)
>
> I've never tried it with more frontends than virtual tuners, though,
> so you may well be correct.
>
> At any rate, it sounds like he only needs to be able to use it on one
> frontend at once?
>
> - Chris

In your case multirec is acting like a 2nd tuner, without multirec if
you attempted to start live tv while another frontend was using live
tv you wouldn't be able to.
I believe what he was thinking is that when he started livetv all of
his frontends would be able to watch that same livetv stream
simultaneously. Something like that would require MythTV to multicast
the stream. With multirec he would be able to watch livetv in more
than one room with only a single recorder, of course they would be
limited to a single multiplex. I also think that you would be limited
to watching only channels on that multiplex on all frontends until all
but one quits livetv.